1. The _____ test is commonly used to identify alpha-amylase in Saliva.
Ans.: 4. Starch-Iodide
Explanation: The starch iodine test is based on colour change, as α-amylase degrades starch and is commonly used test.
2. Malting, mashing, brewing, fermentation, maturing, finishing are the steps involved in the production of:
Ans.: 2. Beer
Explanation: Steps in the brewing process of beer include malting, milling, mashing, lautering, boiling, fermenting, conditioning, filtering, and packaging.
3. Forensic Science laboratories in India are accredited by which of the following ?
Ans.: 2. NABL
Explanation: National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories (NABL) is a Constituent Board of Quality Council of India. NABL has been established with the objective to provide Government, Industry Associations and Industry in general with a scheme for third-party assessment of the quality and technical competence of testing and calibration laboratories.
4. In a human skull:
I. Orbits are squarish in males.
II. Supra-orbital ridges are prominent in males.
III. Nasal aperture is lower and broader in males.
IV. Parietal eminences are larger in males.
- I, II and III are correct.
- I and III are correct.
- III and IV are correct.
- I and II are correct.
Ans.: 4. I and II are correct.
5. The nature of fuel to ignite prematurely is measured by its:
- Fuel Number
- Number of carbon atom
- Octane number
- Relative molecular mass
Ans.: 3. Octane number
Explanation: The octane number is an empirical measure of the resistance of gasoline to combusting prematurely, known as knocking. The higher the octane rating, the more resistant the fuel is to autoignition under high pressures, which allows for a higher compression ratio.
6. In connection with a crime scene sketch, which of the following is correct ?
- Distances can be measured by steps.
- Small distances, for example, distance between a fire arm and victim, can be guessed, whereas others can be measured by a measuring tape.
- Each distance should be accurately measured, accurately converted according to scale chosen and then marked on sketch.
- Each distance should be accurately measured, may be approximately converted to scale and then marked in sketch.
Ans.: 3. Each distance should be accurately measured, accurately converted according to scale chosen and then marked on sketch.
Explanation: Every item in the rough sketch should be measured from one or more reference points. The measurement method must be determined and reference points must be established before any measurements are taken.
7. For decipherment of indented writing which of the following methods can be used ?
- Oblique light
- Transmitted light
- Both ESDA and oblique light
Ans.: 4. Both ESDA and oblique light
Explanation: Indented writing is normally recovered by one of two methods:
- By use of Oblique light
- By use of Electro-static Detection Apparatus (ESDA).
8. At pH 6 glycine behaves as:
- Inorganic ion
Ans.: 3. Zwitterion
Explanation: At pH 6, more than 99.98% of the glycine molecules in the solution are present as the neutral H3N+CH2CO2H zwitterion.
9. Cherry red discolouration of blood is due to:
- Oxy haemoglobin
- Red haemoglobin
- Carboxy haemoglobin
- Cyanometh haemoglobin
Ans.: 3. Carboxy haemoglobin
Explanation: A deep red, also called cherry red is the evident indicator of carbon monoxide poisoning. It comes from high levels of carboxyhemoglobin in the blood.
10. Takayama test, ferrous iron from haemoglobin reacts with pyridine to produce _____ crystals:
- Red Rohmbic
- Red Feathery
- Red Circular
- Green Feathery
Ans.: 2. Red Feathery
Explanation: A takayama test, also known as hemochromogen crystal assay, is used to determine blood in questioned sample. this test will give specific crystals in the form of pyridine ferroprotoporhyrin if blood is present. These crystals will appear red in color when viewed under a microscope.