Which of the following types of Inquests are Presently held in India:
A.) Coroner and Police
B.) Police and Magistrate
C.) Magistrate and Coroner
D.) Police and Medical Examiner
Answer: [B] Police and Magistrate
Explanation: At present, in India two types of inquest are followed:
- Police Inquest,
- Magistrate’s Inquest.
- Police inquest: It is conducted under Section 174 of CrPC if the police officer in charge receives information that a person has committed suicide, or has been killed by another or by an animal or by machinery or by an accident, or has died under circumstances raising a reasonable suspicion that some other person has committed an offence.
- Magistrate Inquest: In case of any death a magistrate may conduct an inquest under Section 176, CrPC.
Magistrate inquest is conducted in case of:
- Death in prison,
- Death in police custody,
- Death due to police firing,
- Death in a psychiatric hospital,
- Dowry deaths,
- Rape in Police or Government Custody.